How did you first get involved in your sport?
I was a gymnast for 12 years, until I was 14 years old. All the gymnastic training made me a good athlete at primary school sportsdays. Was spotted by the Carmarthen Harriers chairman at a primary school cross country race and asked to attend training with the club. My primary school sports teacher was very keen on athletics so he had a lot of influence.
What does a typical week look like for you?
Gym at 7am Monday, Wednesday, Friday where I do weights and cardio. Placement 8.45am-5pm in hospital as a trainee cardiac physiologist. Track Tuesday (hurdles) and Thursday (speed/speed endurance) evenings after work (on my own!). Track on Saturday in Cardiff with my coach where I find out my training for next week. Sunday = REST, sleep, eat, recharge for the week to come. 10 hours of training, 41 hours of education plus extra for assignments and revision.
What do you enjoy the most about being a sportsperson?
Always having the opportunity to improve myself. Actually being able to track your development, which you can't do in many other careers. Being asked daily if I'll be 'going to the Olympics' and 'to say hello to me when you're on TV'. The sense of achievement I get when I race well. Travelling the world. Potentially doing the thing I love as a career.
What are your targets for the next 12 months?
56 seconds (or faster) for 400m hurdles. To run a new Welsh record over 400m hurdles (currently stands at 56.43). To improve my PB's in 400m flat and 100m hurdles. To improve my world, European and British ranking.
What are your long term aims?
Commonwealth Games 2014 medallist. To compete at as many major championships as possible. Olympic Games 2016. Run as fast as possible (54?, 53?, 52?)!
What do you do in your free time?
Sleep! Spend time with my boyfriend (not an athlete) as he never gets to see me. Catching up on all the TV I miss. Big Grey's Anatomy fan. Shopping, Cinema, Twitter.
- 2012 BUCS Indoor Championships 60m Hurdles - Bronze, 400m - Bronze
- 2012 Welsh Senior Indoor Championships 60m Hurdles - Gold, 400m - Bronze
- 2011 UK U23 Championships 400m Hurdles - Gold
- Running sub 58 at 2011 UK Challenge Final (57.61)
- 06/03/2011 Winning the Combined Events International (Pentathlon) GBR v ENG v FRA
- 2010 UK Senior Championships 400m Hurdles - Bronze
- 7/03/2010 Captain of GB Team - Combined Events International U23/U20
- 2006 Welsh Record 300m Hurdles (U17)
- Welsh Schools Female Track Athlete 2009
- Cardiff University Full Colours Award 2011
- Carmarthenshire Young Sportswoman 2005, 2009
- 2012 Loughborough International, Welsh Championships, UK Championships
- European Championships
- 2014 Commonwealth Games
- 2016 Olympics